The Arts (Performing Arts and Visual Arts)
Over the course of the school year all students will be provided with the opportunity to participate in a weekly Arts session. Our two Arts teachers, Ms Lucy Lapira (Performing Arts) and Ms Nicki Myszka (Visual Arts) work together to plan for and provide students with a range of learning experiences to build student skills in the areas of Creating and Making and Exploring and Responding. Students will be timetabled for either Visual Arts or Performing Arts each week, throughout the year.
Our Arts program aims to involve each student in a range of experiences that foster:
- independence, perception and imagination
- a positive self-image, resilience, and feelings of worth
- the development of skills and interests, which enhance their individual creativity and self-expression
- learning through direct experiences whereby children experiment, make decisions, judgements, solve problems, acquire and use information skills
- an awareness of and appreciation of other peoples culture, past and present
- the ability to appreciate, respond and reflect upon the ideas, works and skills of others
- a recognition of multiple intelligences
The Performing Arts program at ENPS, provides students with opportunities to develop knowledge, skills and processes in the areas of Music, Drama and Dance from Foundation to Grade Six. The program is designed to maximise opportunities for students to become innovative thinkers and to have experiences as both audience members and artists.
Through Performing Arts we emphasize creativity, imagination and self-confidence. We aim to enhance literacy and numeracy skills, often linking our learning to the units of inquiry covered in each year level.
Students from Grade One to Grade Six have the opportunity to be part of the school choir. Our choir meets weekly, and has participated in community events such as Carols by Candlelight in Queens Park, Moonee Ponds and the Victorian State Schools Spectacular.
The Visual Arts program at Essendon North Primary School welcomes all students in a fun, challenging and creative learning environment. Our Visual Arts program nurtures inventiveness as it engages students in a process that aids in the development of self-esteem, self-discipline, cooperation, and self-motivation.
In the lower primary school years, the art program focuses on creating and making. Students are engaged in stimulating activities where they can explore with guidance, a wide range of media, materials and equipment. All areas are covered; drawing, painting, collage, construction, modelling, printing, threads and textiles. It is within these areas that an emerging knowledge of skills, techniques and processes is formed.
In the upper primary school years, the art program focuses on developing the skills of creative problem solving, artistic perception and expression and also developing each student’s personal expression and communication.
The Visual Arts room is a place where we encourage our students to:
- become aware of themselves and their feelings
- begin to familiarise themselves with the language of the arts
- gain the tools necessary for understanding human experience
- adapt to and respect other students’ ways of working and thinking
- communicate thoughts and ideas in a variety of ways.
Student’s artwork is celebrated and exhibited in the annual Art Show generally held at the end of the school year.